Last week I went for a test with The Endurance Coach in St Helens. Despite some carpark-based shenanigans afterwards, it was a really rewarding and interesting session.
For those interested it involves wearing a gas analysis mask whilst doing a cycling ramp test where the power is gradually increased and you maintain your effort.
Here are my summary statistics – it turns out I’m relatively good at burning fat (50/50 fat vs carb at low power/intensity) and that lends itself to longer, endurance rides. I do need to do some quicker rides as gradually, over time, I will get slower if I don’t.
- Max HR – 197 bpm (not bad for a 44 year old)
- Threshold HR – 187 bpm
- Threshold Power – 310 watts
- RQ1 HR – 172 bpm
- RQ1 Power – 250 watts
- VO2 max – 45.2 ml/min/kg
- Max Aerobic Power – 370 watts
- Aerobic Power/Weight Ratio – 4.93 watts/kg
- Max Sprint Power – 1077 watts
- Anaerobic Power/Weight Ratio – 14.34 watts/kg
- Average 10 sec power – 906 watts
- Power/Weight Ratio – 12.06 watts/kg
I’ve been given a training plan and I hope to return in 16 weeks to see what, if anything, has improved!